Paul Kempen, MD, PhD writes: A distinguished senior VA physician/decorated Veteran gave me this set of pearls.
Government Solutions; AKA Dead Horse Theory:
Hard- won wisdom, passed from generation to generation, says that:
-When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
However, in our government more advanced strategies are often employed, such as:
- Buying a stronger (and more expensive) whip.
- Changing riders.
- Appointing a committee to study the horse for evidence- based solutions.
- Arranging trips to other countries to see how other cultures ride dead horses.
- Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be
- Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.
- Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
- Harnessing several dead horses together to increase efficiency.
- Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse’s performance.
- Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse’s performance.
- Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some live horses.
- Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.
And of course….
13. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.